The road winds up the mountain north of Mostar. After passing a number of mountain homes and huts, the buildings disappear and all that remains is a boulder-spotted dirt road and unspoiled nature. More slow climbing on the rocky road to the top. Some 4×4 vehicles can’t finish the last 500-meter climb. Hiking it in is a possibility. Then you crest the peak and look down into a tranquil valley where the Varda Mountain House near Mostar sits inviting guests to enjoy some much needed time away.
Peter and Zejna began building their dream home here years ago. He had looked all over for the perfect spot for years and this was his great find. The German engineer dreamed, designed, and built the Varda Mountain eco house. Today Zejna hosts friends and guests at this Herzegovina farm stay dream spot to celebrate the beauty of the region and their life together.
Centered in the valley, the home blends in with its surroundings. The rock for the walls and roof were trucked in to meet Peter’s specifications. He installed solar panels for power and water pump to give higher water pressure. Upstairs is an open sleeping area with a master bedroom downstairs and an open living and dining area.
Foods come from the nearby family farm, the onsite garden, and other farms in the nearby area. The host provides a minimum amount of foods for all guests, but is happy to stay in the nearby hut and take care of cooking local, German, and fusion foods if guests choose to have meals prepared. Vegetarian or other requests are gladly accepted. For foodies, this also provides a great opportunity to learn to make local dishes.
While there is much to do in the area, one important activity is to just be. Sit outside by the glacial pond and enjoy the sounds of the wind whistling through the trees and the birds calling. Guests can use the grill/smoker while gathering around the nearby custom built picnic table setting. Guests also can hike or mountain bike in the area. Day trips to Mostar are also a great option.
FEATURES OF THE Varda Mountain HOUSE near mostar
- The Varda Mountain house is 26 km (roughly 40 minutes) northeast of Mostar 2 km above Ruiste Plato
- Sleeps 8 with additional 2 possible on couches
- Minimum 2-night stay – 75 euros per night
- Eco home with full solar power and responsible water management
- Fireplace for rustic ambiance
- Wood burning stove for heating and cooking
- Living area on the first floor
- Master bedroom on the first floor
- Bathroom on the first floor
- Open sleeping area upstairs with a queen bed and 4 single beds
- Linens and towels are provided
- Equipped kitchenette
- Outdoor custom built picnic furniture next to grill/smoker
- Access to organic produce and foraging in season
- Organic traditional and fusion meals available (2 meals and midday snack) – Zejna or another local will stay in the solar panel hut next to the house to take care of meals if desired
- If meal option not selected, then staples of butter, flour, farm fresh eggs, and a bottle of local wine will be included
- Hiking and mountain biking in the nearby area with other hiking options nearby
- Host will provide transportation to close access to the property or can provide front door delivery if needed
- Fluent English
- Limited cellular reception – MIFI can be arranged for a fee
- Free parking available in the valley