A waterway is born in Prokletije National Park at the Ali Pasha Spring (Ali Pašina Izvor). Here crystal clear springs gush from the rock and come up from the ground into pools that start a new waterway. This waterway forms the Vruja River that flows into the Ljuca River and then Plav Lake and the Lim River. While a number of fish make their way up and down this water system throughout the year, one trophy fish here is the Huchen or European Taimen. This fish spawns as far upstream as the originating spring and can be found in hidden places as far down as the Lim River.
The Huchen is elusive and a selective feeder. Our guide will get you where the Huchen are and help you with the best nymph selection for the season and technique. However, catching a Huchen is a difficult process. This is advanced fly fishing for the committed (and it doesn’t hurt to be lucky too).
Features of Fly Fishing for Huchen in Prokletije
- One day fishing in the Prokletije water system with a professional guide [the guide will select which river(s) and/or lake for maximum potential to catch a Huchen based on the time of year and fish migration]
- Pickup from and return to nearby lodging or meet at local coffee shop
- Includes a day pass for fly fishing on the rivers and lake that are open for the season in an approved zone
- Flies and rods are provided
- Limited quantities and sizes of waders and boots available
- All fishing is catch and release