Much of the Skadar Lake story begins at the Đurišić family estate. The family has lived in the region for more than 500 years. Caring for the estate has been passed from generation to generation through the centuries. Marko’s family estate spreads out over 5000 m2. The estate includes an abundance of various plant species and a fresh water spring. Most important to the estate are the various vines comprising the family vineyard.
The family home is a 2-story accommodation with the family winery located in the basement. The estate, including the winery, is open for guests to tour and of course to sample Marko’s family wine offerings. The family also specializes in smoked local fish which they distribute in the largest markets throughout the country.
Marko and his family will do everything possible to make your holiday one you will remember for years to come. They are eager to help guests learn about the history and culture through the eyes of a local family. There is so much to do with this as a launch point including: kayaking, hiking, bird watching, boat trips, bicycling, and cultural activities. During your stay you can explore a number of local villages, visit nearby Virpazar, and take in the beautiful landscapes and wildlife including the unique wetlands of Skadar Lake. The area is perfect for catching sunrises and bird watching.
There is more to enjoy than just beautiful views. You will be able to taste the regional goodness of organic Montenegro through the local foods and wine. These foods come from the garden and fruit trees on the estate making this another great farm to table option in the Meanderbug farm stay network.
Visitors to the Đurišić family estate will be treated as family guests, where they will experience the traditional hospitality of the Montenegrin people. Book your place now as spaces are limited for this intimate setting. And, if you want to say thank you to Marko for such great hospitality, take time to play him in chess. Just be sure to include who won in your future reviews. Have fun!
NOTE: We recommend a multi-day stay in this area to see around and enjoy the spirit of Montenegro. You can go out on the lake by boat, hike the mountains, bike to scenic lookouts and the local town, explore old villages, go to the top of the most important spot to locals–Mt. Lovcen. In the past, some guests have stayed in the area overnighting as a transit point. If that’s all you can do, that’s fine. But you’ll want to view your time here as a destination.
FEATURES OF THE DJURISIC FAMILY ESTATE
- Located 1.2 km from Skadar Lake in the historic Zabes Village, adjacent to Virpazar
- Djurisic Family Estate – offers 3 different rooms for rent:
- Downstairs apartment sleeps up to 4 people
- Double room sleeps up to 2 people
- Twin room sleeps up to 2 people
- Each room / apartment has a private bathroom (second upstairs bathroom just completed this season)
- Linens and towels provided
- Free WiFi
- Private parking area on the property
- Air conditioned rooms
- Equipped community kitchen with open dining area
- Bikes available for guest use
- Grill available for guest use
- Full package available including dinner with the family smoked fish and estate wine as well as day cultural and adventure outings with Marko. *** Our recommendation to experience the region! ***
- English spoken fluently, Spanish comprehension