The Bijelo Polje Mountain Hut on Mount Bjelasica sits perched above the largest city in northern Montenegro–Bijelo Polje. On the other side of the hut, the rolling peaks of Biogradska Gora National Park dot the landscape. This Austrian style mountain hut invites adventurers to escape into the mountains for a time or to expand their Biogradska Gora National Park or Northern Montenegro hut-to-hut adventures.
Now functioning year round, adventurers can access the hut by hiking up from Ravna Rijeka Village, by MTB, or by 4×4. Once there, the traveler is surrounded by quiet, nature’s beauty by day, and a mesmerizing star-filled planetarium at night.
The Bijelo Polje Mountain Hut has a large open floor area for eating, games, etc. The kitchen and bathrooms are on the ground floor along with a spacious wrap-around terrace. All rooms are on the second floor, where there are configurations with two beds (3) and the same format with a loft where 3 additional people can sleep (4). During the summer, farm to table national foods are available from the neighboring katun. Food is brought in from a local provider when the katun is not working.
Hiking Destinations from Bijelo Polje Mountain Hut
Hiking in this area is non-technical. Distances and elevation changes should be considered when planning these hikes. (We strongly encourage adventurers to stay on the fire roads and trails. Avoid entering forested areas as disorientation has occurred with previous adventurers.)
- Sisko Jezero (glacial lake) – 9.7 km – easy hike
- Crna Glava Peak – 15.9 km – moderate hike
- Biogradska Gora Jezero – 21.4 km – moderate hike
FEATURES OF the Bijelo Polje Mountain Hut
- Located on Mt. Bjelasica above Ravna Rijeka Village at 1760 meters elevation
- Cmiljace Mountain Hut – 25 euros per person per night – with breakfast included
- 3 double rooms with twin beds and 4 rooms for five people (2 twins and loft for 3 more)
- Cooking and heated with a traditional wood stove
- Limited electricity through use of a generator
- 2 WC areas and a shower with warm water (limited supply of water, conservation encouraged)
- Organic, national food meals available via katun and brought up from below whent the nearby katun is not operating
- Wrap-around terrace with mountain views
- Free parking on property
- Accessible by hiking, MTB, and off-road (difficult road requiring a stout 4×4 such as a Land Rover, Defender, or Niva)
- On a route to hut-to-hut hiking and biking on Bjelasica
- Hiking, mountain biking, Nordic and back country skiing all around