Eco community garden camping lies on the outskirts of Podgorica. The owners, Alex and Kristina, live in the village of Mareza. They invite groups, clubs, and friends to come and participate in a community gardening effort where they celebrate nature, organic food, and community. Their gracious, low-key approach to life resonates with international campers. This is a great place to make new friends and connect with other travelers to explore Montenegro and the greater Balkan area.
The farm has a greenhouse, several gardens, goats, and a place designated for permaculture gardening. But it is the largest garden on the farm that embodies what Alex and Kristina are all about. This is the community garden area. This is where kids, adults, and campers alike come to work together. Here they learn, teach and share life. In the dirt and later around the table, the community and guests have the opportunity to enjoy life the Montenegrin way which happens at a slow pace or samo polako.
The ecological community garden camping, as well as the corresponding Agape House, are in the Mareza district which is on the outskirts of the capital city. For those that want to enjoy a community-oriented, ecologically friendly setting but still have access to the capital city, this is the ideal place. Besides gardening, prepping organic foods, and long conversations, there are hiking opportunities in the area including an ancient fortress. This also is a good place to make home base to venture out to other spots along the coast to the south and the mountains to the north.
FEATURES OF THE Eco Community Garden Camping near Podgorica
- Mareza lies about 4 km northwest of the center of Podgorica
- The designated camping area lies next to the community garden and can easily accomodate 30 people – 5 euros per person per night
- Tents are available for rental – 1 euro per person per night
- Shared bathroom and outdoor shower during summer months
- Outdoor common dining and game area
- Participatory gardening and help with goats on the farm stay
- Access to organic produce and foraging in season
- Community meals prepared often
- Hiking in the nearby area with many hiking options nearby
- Accessible by public transport or by taxi
- Taxis from the city are several euros and from or to the airport are usually 8 euros
- Access to a couple bikes for store runs
- Fluent English
- Free wifi for guests
- Parking available in the area