When it comes to rustic, traditional Montenegro, the Kljajić family nails it at their farm stay–Kuca Kljajica. Built in 1918, their home’s modern modifications (like a bathroom) have been designed to work brilliantly with the space. They practice organic farming of vegetables and raspberries. They are also 1 of 3 certified organic beekeepers in the country. And yes, they have served their honey to royalty including Prince Charles and Camilla.
At the Kljajic family farm, organic foods find their way in abundance to the table where Maja serves up monster family-style helpings of local dishes. They swear that no one has ever left their table hungry and they plan to keep it that way. Milan, Maja, and their children exhibit the beauty that is Montenegrin hospitality.
While Kuca Kljajica immerses you in local culture, it also opens up great hiking and mountain biking on surrounding mountains. One challenging hike in the area is the climb up to the Widowmaker, a village highlight. Lake and fly-fishing in nearby rivers are also accessible to enjoy the peaceful setting and have a chance to catch a grayling or other unique fish species.
Features of the Kuca Kljajica farm stay
- Private house with 3 bedrooms
- 1 room with 4 beds, 1 room with 2 single beds, and a master bedroom with a queen bed-plus configuration (sleeps 8)
- Small kitchen
- Dining area inside and outside by garden and raspberry field
- Traditional decor and wood stove
- Organic national food meals available
- Adventure abounds including village life, hiking, biking, fly fishing, cross-country skiing
- Free parking available on farm