For some fly fishermen, the more challenging the chase, the more rewarding the catch. Fly fishing the small rivers and streams is some of the most challenging fly fishing in Montenegro. With clear waters, it is imperative to be in the right place at the right time while maintaining stealth in the approach. This combo makes for some unbelievable settings and colors that most travelers in Montenegro never get to see.
The small rivers and streams fly fishing takes place in the Bijela, Komarnica, Pridvarica, and Tusin Rivers. These are located mostly near Savnik, not far from Durmitor. Brown trout of varying size are the reward for the end goal. However, this fly fishing adventure is for those that enjoy the journey as much as the destination. Ideal times for fly fishing in this area are May through June and September through October. Of course seasonal weather patterns may vary.
The small rivers and streams in Northern Montenegro are rocky, uneven terrain. People that plan to undertake this adventure must have good mobility and be in reasonable condition. Also, this is not a beginning fly fishing adventure. This is for moderate to advanced fly fishermen that want to try to catch a brown in some unexpected places. Your guide will adjust the plan based on physical condition and skill level.
Features for Fly Fishing the Small Rivers and Streams in Montenegro
- One day of fly fishing on 1 or more of the small rivers and streams
- Meet at a designated point near Durmitor Park or the town of Savnik. Client needs standard auto transportation. (transportation add-on can provide client transport if needed).
- This fly fishing in Durmitor adventure includes a day pass for fly fishing in the region with a professional fly fishing guide.
- Hand-tied flies and rods are provided.
- A box of flies made for this regions small rivers and streams are available for add-on purchase for use and as a made in Montenegro “souvenir”.
- Client needs to bring waders (recommended at least waist high) – can usually source one or two pairs of waders in a pinch, but prefer clients to have their own waders due to sizing.
- Fishing is functionally catch and release with a 2 fish limit permissible.
- Combine the small rivers and streams with the glacial lakes fly fishing in Durmitor for an additional 40 euros per day.
For more info on fly fishing in Montenegro, see our fly fishing Montenegro overview.