A microcosm of nature that is rainforest, wetlands, stone rivers, mountain peaks and glacial lakes, Biogradska Gora deserves several days of exploration. Definitely, take in the impressive Biogradska Gora Lake at the main entrance, but see the spectacular unknown spots in the park too. While you are there you can experience Montenegrin hospitality and farm to table foods at the Rakovic Katun in Biogradska Gora National Park.
The Rakovic Katun lies next to the slopes of Crna Glava (2139m). It is situated between Sisko, Ursulovacko, Pesica and Sevarina Lakes. All around the katun grow rare, endemic flora like the dwarf mountain pine and the yellow gentian. Photography of the landscapes, flora and fauna, and locals continuing to live mountain life steeped in their tradition and culture.
Katun life offers a slower pace of mountain life. The Rakovic Katun purposely avoids having running water giving it a sustained rustic experience. Nighttime lighting comes from oil lamps and candles as well as with new eco-friendly solar energy. Heating comes by a traditional wood stove which also heats water for an outdoor shower.
The Rakovic Katun in Biogradska Gora National Park offers an unforgettable experience for adventurers. The terrain is perfect for off-road adventures in a 4×4, motorcycle, mountain bike, or on foot hiking. Stay a night on a hut-to-hut adventure or stay for days and recalibrate with the quiet, isolated beauty of the national park.
FEATURES OF THE Rakovic Katun IN Biogradska Gora NATIONAL PARK
- Located inside Biogradska Gora National Park near Sisko Jezero in Lubnice Opstina near two of the most scenic roads in Montenegro (R24, BT-TT3; E65)
- The Rakovic Katun consists of two cabins and a bungalow
- The Crna Glava Cabin sleeps up to 6 people – 5 single beds + 1 sleeper sofa and with wood-burning stove – 40 euros/night
- Sisko Jezero Cabin sleeps up to 3 people – 2 single beds + 1 sleeper sofa and with wood-burning stove – 30 euros/night
- Sevarina Jezero Cabin sleeps up to 4 people – 4 single beds and with wood-burning stove – 30 euros / night
- Biogradska Gora Bungalow sleeps up to 2 people – 2 single beds – 25 euros/night
- Organic, traditional meals available
- Outdoor and indoor eating areas
- Located inside the national park providing access to key points
- 45-minute hike to Sisko Jezero
- 1.5-hour hike to Ursulovacko Jezero
- 2-hour hike to the Crna Glava peak
- Oil lamps and candles for nighttime lighting / solar panels installed in 2019 for limited electric supply
- Spring water nearby and in storage and clean water for showering in supply
- Parking available on location
- Ideal based for Biogradska Gora NP MTB adventures
- Multi-day bike rentals arranged for adventurers to ride in from the main office
- Situated on the Via Dinarica hiking route, ideal for hut-to-hut hiking
- Removed from society with dirt/gravel road access – the road is passable from Kurikuce with sufficient clearance (We prefer a 4×4 here while Stefan manages it in a VW Polo.)