Biogradska Gora National Park deserves a visit. That’s true for any traveler that cares about beauty, nature, or adventure. Sure a quick visit will score you a nice pic for your Instagram feed. But there’s more. A lot more. You should plan at least 3 or 4 days to take in the highlights. To help, we are glad to share the 12+ best places to stay near Biogradska Gora National Park.
Accessing Biogradska Gora NP
Though this is one of the smaller national parks in the country, it still offers a large area for trekking and exploring. At 54 km2, Biogradska Gora spans three municipal opština or regions. These include Kolašin, Mojkovac, and Berane. The closest town to the main entrance is Mojkovac, not Kolašin. But…
For adventurers looking to explore the nature and culture of a land, we have good news. There are villages on all sides of this national park that are much closer than the towns. Also, the village experience provides a better encounter with the local culture.
We have been working with some amazing people in these villages around Biogradska Gora (and the country) to help them prepare farm stay options for travelers. These are locals. So, naturally, you interact with them to experience their village life and eat the amazing foods that they grow. This is farm-to-table at its best–on the adventure trail.
There are multiple ways to access Biogradska Gora National Park. Knowing this will impact how you plan your adventure.
The main entrance is between Mojkovac and Kolasin directly across from Štitarica Village. This entrance is the easiest place to enter to enjoy Biogradska Gora Jezero, the largest glacial lake in the park. Also, it is the easiest place to access nature by asphalt road to take in the lake. But around the park lie different village roads that provide off road and hiking access. The backside of the park is a key place for this where the villages of Kurikuce and Lubnice rest quietly. For hikers, mountain bikers, and motorcyclists, these are perfect launch points.
Don’t be deceived into thinking that a visit to the park is a picture of the lake at the entrance. And please don’t think that to hike the park means a short loop on the path around BG lake. There is so much more!
NEW! Check out Biogradska Gora hut to hut hiking and MTB options…
Senica Katun near Lake Pesic
Best Places to Stay Near Biogradska Gora National Park
These places are presented based on proximity to the main entrance. The numbering is not a ranking of most or least recommended.
Lodging Near Biogradska Gora’s Main Gate Entry Point
- National Park cabins at the main entrance – these are ideal for location, but lacking for experience the culture of the people living in the mountains of Northern Montenegro
- Laništa Katun in Biogradska Gora National Park – ideal for adventurers and family travelers to experience highlander living in northern Montenegro just a hike away from the main park entrance
- Vukovic Organic Farm Stay in Stitarica Village – family home for 6 with organic, traditional foods and easy access to main entrance
- NEW LISTING coming early July 2020
- Bulatovic Farm Stay Near Lake Biograd in Rovacko Trebaljevo Village – ideal for family travelers and adventurers with easy driving access to Lake Biograd as well as hiking into the back of the park
- Gradina Campsite in Lipovo Village – open camping area with toilets and shower; organic, traditional foods; owned by one of the park rangers
- Goles Katun – traditional working farm katun experience with all the organic foods. Ideal for adventurers and a hut-to-hut experience. Accessible by 4×4 or vehicle with good undercarriage clearance, hiking, and MTB
- Vukadinovic Organic Orchard in Bojna Nijva Village – family home for 4 with organic, traditional foods; dirt roads require some clearance for vehicles
- Bijelo Polje Mountain Hut in Cmiljace Katun – this Austrian-built mountain hut provides hiking access for a moderate length hike from or to the main entrance of the park
- Eco Estate Under Bjelasica Mountain in Ravna Rijeka Village – home for 3-4 people; organic, traditional foods; 0.5 km of dirt road passable by all vehicles
Lodging Near the Backside Access Points of Biogradska Gora National Park
- Suvodo Katun is the first katun inside the park border on the backside. It offers a large comfortable family cabin and two small 2-person adventure cabins. Working farm and adventure launch point. Accessible by most vehicles, hiking, and MTB.
- Rakovic Katun inside the park – 2 cabins and a bungalow for up to 10 people; organic, traditional foods; hike, bike, or off road into the katun; located on the slopes of Crna Glava with easy access to glacial lakes; owned by one of the park rangers. This road was re-graded recently and is now accessible by all vehicles when driving slowly.
- Senica Katun inside the park – Senica Katun offers the most comfortable katun setting with all the nature views surrounding. Closest katun to unforgettable Lake Pesic. Ideal overnight point for adventurers or multi-day retreat for family travelers. Accessible by 4×4, vehicle with good undercarriage clearance, hiking, and MTB.
- Pesic Katun inside the park, this little cabin in the woods provides privacy and easy access to the jaw-dropping Pesic Lake. This one is accessible via hiking, MTB, and 4×4. It is possible to drive a normal vehicle (slowly) much of the way and hike in the last kilometer.
- Little Village Estate in Kurikuce Village – family home for 5 to 9 people; organic, traditional foods; drive in on maintained roads; easy hike to Šiško Jezero
- Family Cabins on Mount Bjelasica in Jelovica Village – Gojko and his sister have twin cabins that are at the base of Bjelasica. These are ideal for family travel to spend a little down time in nature with day hikes or as a way to finish a hut-to-hut adventure.
- Stojic Cabin by Jelovica Creek in Jelovica – Vesko has built a quaint little cabin that provides a clean, safe place but also allows for the adventure of knowing you are in a different land. Family adventurers will find this a great fit.
- Obradovic Family Home in Lubnice Village – 3 rooms for rent each for 2 or 3 people; organic traditional foods; drive to Kurikuce Village or hike to Sisko Lake from Lubnice
- Kuca Kljajica Farm and Apiary in Lubnice Village – family home for 8 people; organic, traditional foods; drive to Kurikuce or hike to Sisko Lake from Lubnice
- Three Springs Cottage in Lubnice Village – family home for 6-8 people; organic, traditional foods; drive to Kurikuce or hike to Sisko Lake from Lubnice
- Serene Haven Farm Stay in Glavaca Village – family home for 4-6 people; organic, traditional foods; dirt road that requires good clearance; drive off road or into Kurikuce or hike into the back side of the park
We will keep meeting people, coaching, sharing stories, and developing new farm stay partners with locals in the villages. And with that, we’ll keep adding to the 12+ Best Places to Stay Near Biogradska Gora National Park in Northern Montenegro. Hope to cross paths with you soon and happy exploring!