Biogradska Gora National Park deserves a visit. That’s true for any traveler that cares about beauty, nature, or adventure. Sure a quick visit will score you a nice pic for your Instagram feed. But there’s more. A lot more. You should plan at least 3 or 4 days to take in the highlights. To help, we are glad to share the 12+ best places to stay near Biogradska Gora National Park.
Accessing Biogradska Gora National Park
Though this is one of the smaller national parks in the country, it still offers a large area for trekking and exploring. At 54 km2, Biogradska Gora spans three municipal opština or regions. These include Kolašin, Mojkovac, and Berane. The closest town to the main entrance is Mojkovac, not Kolašin. But…
For adventurers looking to explore the nature and culture of a land, we have good news. There are villages on all sides of this national park that are much closer than the towns. Also, the village experience provides a better encounter with the local culture.
We have been working with some amazing people in these villages around Biogradska Gora (and the country) to help them prepare farm stay options for travelers. These are locals. So, naturally, you interact with them to experience their village life and eat the amazing foods that they grow. This is farm-to-table at its best–on the adventure trail.
There are multiple ways to access Biogradska Gora National Park. Knowing this will impact how you plan your adventure.
The main entrance is between Mojkovac and Kolasin directly across from Štitarica Village. This entrance is the easiest place to enter to enjoy Biogradska Gora Jezero, the largest glacial lake in the park. Also, it is the easiest place to access nature by asphalt road to take in the lake. But around the park lie different village roads that provide off road and hiking access. The backside of the park is a key place for this where the villages of Kurikuce and Lubnice rest quietly. For hikers, mountain bikers, and motorcyclists, these are perfect launch points.
Don’t be deceived into thinking that a visit to the park is a picture of the lake at the entrance. And please don’t think that to hike the park means a short loop on the path around BG lake. There is so much more!
Best Places to Stay Near Biogradska Gora National Park
These places are presented based on proximity to the main entrance. The numbering is not a ranking of most or least recommended.
Lodging Near Biogradska Gora’s Main Gate Entry Point
- National Park cabins at the main entrance – these are ideal for location, but lacking for experience the culture of the people living in the mountains of Northern Montenegro
- Vukovic Organic Farm Stay in Stitarica Village – family home for 6 with organic, traditional foods and easy access to main entrance
- Gradina Campsite in Lipovo Village – open camping area with toilets and shower; organic, traditional foods; owned by one of the park rangers
- Vukadinovic Organic Orchard in Bojna Nijva Village – family home for 4 with organic, traditional foods; dirt roads require some clearance for vehicles
- Dulovic Farm in Lipovo Village – two rooms available for up to 8 people; organic, traditional foods; 0.7 km of dirt roads passable by all vehicles
- Eco Estate Under Bjelasica Mountain in Ravna Rijeka Village – home for 3-4 people; organic, traditional foods; 0.5 km of dirt road passable by all vehicles
Lodging Near the Backside Access Points of Biogradska Gora National Park
- Rakovic Katun inside the park – 2 cabins and a bungalow for up to 10 people; organic, traditional foods; hike, bike, or off road into the katun; located on the slopes of Crna Glava with easy access to glacial lakes; owned by one of the park rangers. This road was re-graded recently and is now accessible by all vehicles when driving slowly.
- Pesic Katun inside the park – deep in the park, this little cabin in the woods provides total privacy and easy access to the jaw-dropping Pesic Lake. This one is accessible via hiking, MTB, and 4×4. It is possible to drive a normal vehicle (slowly) much of the way and hike in the last kilometer.
- Little Village Estate in Kurikuce Village – family home for 5 to 9 people; organic, traditional foods; drive in on maintained roads; easy hike to Šiško Jezero
- Obradovic Family Home in Lubnice Village – 3 rooms for rent each for 2 or 3 people; organic traditional foods; drive to Kurikuce Village or hike to Sisko Lake from Lubnice
- Kuca Kljajica Farm and Apiary in Lubnice Village – family home for 8 people; organic, traditional foods; drive to Kurikuce or hike to Sisko Lake from Lubnice
- Three Springs Cottage in Lubnice Village – family home for 6-8 people; organic, traditional foods; drive to Kurikuce or hike to Sisko Lake from Lubnice
- Serene Haven Farm Stay in Glavaca Village – family home for 4-6 people; organic, traditional foods; dirt road that requires good clearance; drive off road or into Kurikuce or hike into the back side of the park
We will keep meeting people, coaching, sharing stories, and developing new farm stay partners with locals in the villages. And with that, we’ll keep adding to the 12+ Best Places to Stay Near Biogradska Gora National Park in Northern Montenegro. Hope to cross paths with you soon and happy exploring!